Sunday, September 4, 2011

Fortune Teller Pants

Dear Mrs. Nam,
Please put on your fortune teller pants and tell me where I'll be in 6 months. And while you're at it, could you let me in on who I'll marry...just so I can keep a look out ;)

Prepare for another short one folks. As the weeks are waning, it seems my exciting experiences are also waning. Although I wasn't doing anything real exciting this past week, my students provided for some exciting stories.

On Tuesday, after 2 months of gallivanting in South America, Mrs. Ko waltzed into my morning class. I missed her so much! She got me this change purse from Peru and a magnet from Rio. She also went to Argentina, Chile, Mexico, and several other countries down there. I wish I could have shattered that language barrier for about 2 hours so she could have explained in great detail all about her trip. However, she did do a good job explaining and while walking and over lunch, I was able to hear all about it. I want to be like Mrs. Ko when I grow up. :)

Mrs. Nam was probably even happier about Mrs. Ko's homecoming. They have become such great friends through this class. I've loved observing their friendship when we go on our various excursions. One really great thing about Koreans is that they really know how to be a good friend. Many times we as Americans will say, "yeah, let's get together some time," but we don't really mean it and both parties know nothing will come of it. On the other hand, you say to a Korean, "yeah, we should hang out some time." and they respond, "When? I'm free tomorrow..or right now, let's go." They give gifts and just by observing, they (well, at least Mrs. Nam and Mrs. Ko) are very genuine and selfless in their friendships.

This pic was taken back in April, but I just love these two ladies!


Anyhow, Mrs. Nam and Mrs. Ko took me out to lunch on Tuesday to eat some Vietnamese food. I think Vietnamese food has become a top fav of mine. Mrs. Ko was saying how she needs a haircut and Mrs. Nam told her to go to this specific hair shop. Mrs. Ko said that shop is so popular and she would never be able to get an appointment. Without calling or anything, Mrs. Nam told Mrs. Ko the shop would definitely not be busy and she should go that day. The next morning, Mrs. Ko came to class and with a shocked expression said Mrs. Nam was correct, she got a hair appointment, no problem. So, Mrs. Ko says to Mrs. Nam, "You a fortune teller?" Classic Mrs. Nam response: "No, but I was wearing my fortune teller pants."

Also, Tuesday was a birthday of one of my students in my 4:30 class that consists of only 3 girls. So, in celebration, we walked down to the first floor to get some ice cream from GS. Now, I've gotten into this habit of walking up the stairs to the 4th floor where the school is. Not only is it somewhat good exercise, but I can easily avoid the ajumma crowded elevator. So, I suggested we take the stairs to the three 11 year old girls. At first they had this excited expression that was like, "wait there are stairs in this place?" But after the first flight this was Yerin and I's conversation:

Yerin: "Teacher, exercise?"
Me: "We're just taking the stairs to the 4th floor Yerin."
Yerin: "Teacher, it's hot."
Me: "Well, you're eating ice cream so you should live."
Yerin: "TEACHER, WE'RE CHILDREN!"

Thursday was officially the day Elizabeth left Gunsan. So, Tuesday and Wednesday night we hung out a bit, took a walk, chatted with my fruit lady. You see, this fruit lady is no ordinary fruit lady. She is very kind, however, whenever I take my trash out, she always yells at me from her fruit stand like she wants to take my trash. One time, maybe 5 months ago, I gave her my trash that wasn't sorted (sorry, Kate). In Korea, they are big on recycling, and they even have special bins for food trash. So, I felt really bad when I handed over 2 boxes of unsorted trash. Anyhow, since then, I've stealthily taken out the trash without her noticing. But a couple Saturdays ago, I was doing my best to sneak by her while she was dealing with some customers, but she still yelled something out to me. But I kindly bowed and said, "it's ok." So, on Tuesday while Elizabeth and I were returning from our walk, she stopped us. She was trying to communicate something to us, but we had no idea what was trying to be communicated. This is exactly what we heard. "Hamburger? mung mung" along with some hand gestures. So I looked at Elizabeth and I said, "mung mung?" Elizabeth said to me, "mung mung?" The fruit lady then said. "Ye, mung mung." After that strange encounter we went into my complex and walked down the hallways saying, "mung mung? mung mung? mung mung?" When we got into my apartment we looked up the word "mung mung" and we learned that it is the sound a dog makes. I guess it's our equivalent to "bow wow." Thus, we concluded the fruit lady wants my food trash for her "mung mung." Elizabeth and I just found it humorous that we walked down the hallways of my apartment barking to each other.

I sent Elizabeth off into the sunrise on Thursday morning. It was sad, but I'm very happy for her to be back home!

The weekend was nothing too big. Seul Ki came over and we went out to lunch to Mr. Pizza...oh how I love Mr. Pizza. The pizza is ok, but the salad bar is the bomb! Then we shopped for a bit and went back to my apartment to watch 2 hours of non stop Korean dramas (with English subtitles). It was really fun. I actually am slightly addicted to Korean dramas...they always catch you with that love triangle! I had planned to run on Saturday evening and when I told Seul Ki about it, she said she had always wanted to try running. I told her that would be fun if she came along and that she could change her clothes and then meet me at the park. But Seul Ki said she didn't need to change. She was wearing skinny jeans and a big tshirt with Vans tennis shoes. Further, she brought along her purse. I was pretty interested to see how it would turn out, and it really was as funny as I thought it was going to be. Here Seul Ki was in jeans, a a striped shirt, white shoes, and a purse around her neck running for the first time. I will never forget that run. In between our laughing fits, we did a little running, but I think it was a little much for Seul Ki. At one point she said in frustration, "my clothes, my hair, my purse....you're long legs!"

It was a pretty good weekend, and I look forward to next weekend since we have a 4 day weekend because of the big Korean holiday, Chuseok. That's all I got. Hope all is well and you didn't do too much laboring on Labor Day!

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha...you and Elizabeth 'barking' at each other until you figured out what the fruit lady wanted....that's fantastic! You are so smart! Fortune telling pants, jogging with a purse, and making those poor children use the stairs they didn't know existed....good times, Nat!! See you very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your observations and succinct descriptions make me wonder how your observations of "home" (USA, Dixon, North America) will be affected. Taking time to observe, think and reflect...seems like a strength for all places and times.. As you can see, now that you are ready to leave, I can finally actually post to the blog,,,but only as "anonymous"...Love, Aunt D

    ReplyDelete