Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Chuseok Memories

Dear music industry,
Watch out, I'm your next big star.

This past week was, once again, not too eventful. I feel things are really starting to wrap up..well at least, I think I am mentally wrapping things up. Nonetheless, this week did hold a few firsts.

The work week was as per usual, but the weekend was where the action was. Isn't that always the case? Anyhow, after working a full week, it was time for one of the two biggest holidays in Korea... Chuseok! They say it's the equivalent to our Thanksgiving, but I say no to that..unless you eat turkey until you burst, watch the Macy's Day Parade and the Cowboys and Lions play on TV, and see a movie in the theater with the Gabriel sisters, you are not experiencing Thanksgiving ;)

In Korea, a majority of people travel to their relatives and they feast for about 2 days. A few of the traditional foods are these rice cookies and also this amazing little creation called ddok..Ddok comes in many forms. People also make and eat this type called Songpyeon but my favorite Ddok is the white sponge looking ddok..Mrs. Nam bought me some on Friday :) Here it is:Anyhow, this holiday is a 3 day holiday. However, because it fell on Sunday, we only got Monday and Tuesday off. I am so thankful for the two days off, I'm currently soaking up this holiday in a Dunkin' Donuts down the street from my apartment.

Most foreigners spend this holiday traveling to various Asian or Southeastern Asian countries, but because of my upcoming trip to China, I decided to stick it out in the Gunsan to save some dinero. I am so glad I did too because Seul Ki invited me to celebrate Chuseok with her family on Sunday afternoon and evening.

Sunday morning started with a bang, literally. Mr. Oh accidentally side swiped a parked car. Granted the streets were packed since everyone comes home for the holidays and Gunsan is that small city that all those big shots in Seoul come home to, but still the situation was messy. So, after the insurance people arrived and things settled down a bit, we were off to church.

After church, Mr. Oh dropped me off at Seul Ki's house. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was definitely a great way to spend my first Korean Thanksgiving. Seul Ki's parents were so so so friendly and definitely quality people..of course I knew they would be since Seul Ki is such an amazing person.

I should have known to pace myself better, but by the end of the night, I thought my stomach was going to explode! We had the first meal when I got there. She made these stuffed peppers, bulgogi, chop chae, bean sprouts, rice, kimchi, sweet potatoes, and songpyeon. After eating, we ate fruit and played two games of Ut...a game I fully intend on bringing home and teaching you all how to play. They also tried to teach me how to play "Go Stop" but the language barrier combined with the complex rules was too much and I just watched them play.

After games, we decided to go for a hike. Seul Ki's dad loves hiking and walking. He said he really liked hiking with me since I take big steps and walk faster than his wife who apparently holds him back on his hikes. haha..I think his wife is probably, at the most, 5 feet tall. We hiked around Wolmyeong Park, then we took a taxi to the other popular park in Gunsan, Eunpa Park.
We walked in the rain, drank some instant coffee..I've become quite the coffee lover here in Korea...we walked to this restaurant that served a very spicy noodle soup. It was so spicy. I've really improved in the spicy food department, but this spicyness really started to build up. Her dad said after I ate it, my face was a little more red and my lips were a little puffy. Later, her mom admitted that she ordered the spicy food so that I would never forget this experience...well, mission accomplished, Seul Ki's mom ;)

I had been waiting for this "first." I didn't really think it would happen with one of my students and her parents, but it did, and it was A-mazing. I FINALLY went to a Norebong! Norebong is basically Karaoke..but "Karaoke" is a Japanese term...Koreans let me know that real quick. Norebong means "singing room." So, unlike a Karaoke bar, the Norebong is a private room with a TV that acts as the Karaoke machine, couches, a table, and a disco ball. It's extremely popular in Korea and everyone..of all ages..goes to them often. It's a little surprising since I think sometimes Koreans, generally speaking, are more shy and introverted than Westerners. However, I guess if you plop them in front of a Karaoke machine and play some Kpop songs, they come right out of their shell!

Seul Ki's parents were actually pretty incredible singers..and Seul Ki's mom was also quite the little dancer! Seul Ki was also amazing at singing..I on the other hand...wow...I'm as bad as I thought I would be. However, Seul Ki was very impressed when I tackled Usher and Alicia Key's duet, "My boo."

The Norebong was sooooooo much fun! I hope I can go again before I leave...and I really hope I can find one in the U.S. when I'm back.


After the Norebong, we went back to Seul Ki's house and guess what? We ate again! Her mom made beef and we ate what was left over from lunch. While eating and talking, I realized something that I really really really appreciate about Koreans. I've observed something over the years in America. When a young person dies, their facebook is flooded with things like, "I loved the way you smiled." or "Although we had our differences, you were such a wonderful person." or something along those lines. Whenever I read those, it makes me sad that that person can't read that, or hear how they have affected people positively.

I've noticed though that if you affect a Korean in some way..whether good or bad..they will tell you exactly what they think about you right there and then. Now, of course that can lead to something like, "wow, you have really bad style" or "you are really greasy," BUT they also don't shy away from verbally communicating what they do like about you. In fact, whenever I meet Koreans for the first time, I feel really nervous because I know at the end of the day they will tell me what they think about me or will tell me the opinion they've formed about me. Something that Americans would never do on the first meeting, well at least to the person's face.

After eating dinner, Seul Ki's dad told me what he thought of me. He said that he really loved my smile and personality and that since he had been around me during the day, he felt lighter/happier..or something like that. It was such an encouragement to me and I will treasure that. I think so many times, in my head, I say what I love about those who are around me but I never verbally tell them those things. I hope this concept of verbally encouraging others, even if they are somewhat of a stranger, rubs off on me.

Well, I'm pretty sure Dunkin Donuts is closing up and thus, this Chuseok holiday is coming to an end. Here's to a 3 day work week next week! Hope you are all well!

1 comment:

  1. Aww...I always feel lighter/happier after talking to you too, Nat!! He sees the same things we all do! You're Home SOON!!!!! I'll make sure I have some instant coffee on hand.

    ReplyDelete