Monday, February 21, 2011

Valentines and Vampires

Dear taxi driver who perms his hair,
My sincere apologies.

Valentine's Day kicked the week off, and I'm going to just come out and say that it was one of the best Valentine's Days I think I've had. Not only did I spend it with some of my favorite people here, but I wasn't constantly bombarded with reminders of my singleness.

I've noticed that holidays (and I know that's not the right term for Valentine's Day) are not as commercialized here. It's kind of nice and refreshing to not be bombarded with every tiny "holiday." Of course, I could have very well been surrounded by banners that read, "Anyone can catch your eye, but it takes someone special to catch your heart" -author unknown or "Roses are Red Violets are blue..you are single, stinks to be you," or I could have daily walked by neon lighted signs that had some sort of countdown to Valentine's Day for the past 3 months, BUT that's the joy of living in a foreign country and not understanding a lick of the language.

Sorry, rabbit trail..So my Valentine's Day really was the highlight of the week. In Korea, apparently there is Valentine's Day, where the girl is supposed to get her boyfriend chocolate and there is White Day on March 14th, when the boy is supposed to get his girlfriend some sort of candy. I'll fill you in on all that after March 14 rolls around. Nonetheless, I actually got a good amount of chocolate.. some from my students, church members, and coworkers. It was a pleasant surprise. But the best thing about Valentine's Day was when one of my old students, Mrs. Ko, walked into class after being gone for a few months studying English in the States.

She took our class out to lunch and we ate and heard her stories and opinions of America. I told her to be honest, but she had all nice things to say. She said she loved that people said "hi" to each other even if they didn't know each other, the fact that people are friends with each other even if they aren't the same age, and she loved that people who were in wheelchairs led normal lives and were not ashamed of their condition. It was very interesting hearing about her trip..it really made me proud to be an American (cue music).

After work, Elizabeth and I went to a coffee house called Santa Rosa. Apparently, they have really good coffee, but we still don't know because we went straight for the waffles. Elizabeth had this chocolate waffle deal and I had this cheese waffle and a salad...I know, "cheese waffle?" I can't explain it, but it was perfect. The conversation was great, the food delish, and the taxi ride back unforgettable. We had to walk a ways to get a taxi but finally we waved down a taxi, and I said to Elizabeth before getting in "look at this a female taxi driver, you don't see that everyday." Then we jump in and after hearing a deep, "Anyeong haseyo" we realize it was a man with ridiculously puffy permed hair, and I just lost it, I could not stop giggling..Taxi drivers rarely understand where I tell them to go when I'm not having a laughing fit, so it was a miracle that he could even make out the name of my market through all my giggles.

The school week was very normal. I'm still having a good time with my kid classes. They are pretty clever sometimes. Like last week, I walked into one of the classes that is a group of eight 11 year olds and I say to them, "why does it always smell in here?" and one, very animated student says, "Teacher, you go on airplane, and then (insert airplane noises and hand motion) and then get off airplane in America and then (insert one deep sniff sound) and then get on airplane (insert airplane noises and hand motion) and then come back to school." This class if full of students who would rather make hand motions and noises than actually use their words, but sometimes it's fun..like charades.

Random: I was in the bank the other day and I saw this lady walk in with this tiny dog with his tiny hoodie, WITH his tiny winter coat, and I couldn't resist:


Lastly, I ended my work week with a little soup...blood soup that is. Well, I actually ordered something else, but Yogita and Jemal ordered it, and I decided I needed to try this "blood soup" just because I think I was due for another "first." Apparently, it's blood of animals boiled down, or cooked down into this tofu looking thing..I really don't know what I'm saying, and it tasted like air, so it wasn't too extreme, BUT now, I think I'm a solid candidate for at least an extra in the next Twilight movie.

The weekend was fun and relaxing. I was able to go on base with my friends Nick and Melanie, get some Taco Bell, Starbucks, and some much needed shampoo and orthodox..I know, weird combo. Later we ate pizza, played wii, and I finished the week off with the latest American Idol episode. I'm loving that guy who played the bass/cello looking thing. Hope your week has started off well..and oh yeah, the Packers still won the Superbowl :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow...that's all I can say about this one. The blood soup was over-the-top odd. You are one brave girl. And yeah, the bass guy on American Idol is my favorite...along with the young guy JC.

    Go Pack Go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Packers? Who? Whaaaa?

    That is one well dressed dog.....as for the "blood soup," if you think about it, how far away is that really from "beef broth," right?

    And I'm sure that poor taxi driver's self esteem is ruined for life. Surely. Has to be.

    Crazy Americans!

    Andy

    ReplyDelete