Sunday, February 13, 2011

Subtitles Please

Dear Lotte Mart,
Thank you so much for all the free samples you dish out.

Considering the highlight of last week was going to Lotte Mart after work and eating all the samples I could get my hands on for dinner, you could say this blog entry might be a bit dull. But about the samples, what I love about Lotte Mart (It's equivalent to Walmart or a non bulk Sam's Club) is the free samples they give out every night (not just on Saturdays). They usually hook me with the samples too since I never can read what I'm buying. And they don't have the grumpy old women at the stands who take mental pictures of everyone and verbally punish those who try to get seconds.

Although the week was a down week, it was a really good one. My kid students were actually a lot of fun. I decided to really crack down on the kids speaking Korean in class. I first gave them a "yellow card" (warning) and then if they spoke in Korean a second time, I took a point away (if they have points at the end of the week they get to pick out of a prize bucket). So that little rule really quieted down the classes.

You remember Lina right? Well, she's in a class that has really shrunk in size. They split up the class, so now I have a half hour class with only two students. They are both 12 year old girls and they are both so goofy. This past week we were reading a story, and in the story the girl was wearing "ripped jeans." They were very curious about the word, "ripped." So they looked it up in their little electronic dictionary and the definition they read was "totally drunk," so of course that put them in a giggling frenzy. I set them straight, but the giggling was non stop for the rest of the class.

The week went by really fast. I went to the gym everyday last week. I feel like I stick out in the gym more than anywhere else in this city. But people are fairly nice. The other day, in the locker room, a nice older lady gave me a tangerine. A little random, but a very nice gesture. Also last week, the owner of the gym, who is in his 70's but looks like he's in his early 40's, was walking around the gym and he would always come to my station, stop, observe, and just nod his head. I awkwardly smiled at him and was inwardly proud of myself.

The weekend was very restful and somewhat exciting. On Saturday, Elizabeth, Stephanie, and I went to dinner at an Italian restaurant and then to a movie at the theater. We wanted to see the movie "Tangled" and it was playing here in 3D. Typically, movies that are Western are in English with Korean subtitles. So, we were very excited. We waited around after dinner, got our popcorn, that was actually really good and found our seats. At the theaters here, there is assigned seating. so I sat next to Stephanie and then a dad who was there with his two daughters. The crowd consisted of mostly little girls wearing these over sized 3D glasses. I was so excited. The movie began. The seats were comfy. The popcorn was delicious. The 3D was awesome. The glasses weren't geeky. The movie was all in Korean. The floors weren't sticky. scrreeeeeech...hold on..the movie was ALL in Korean. UGH!

At first we just looked at each other, and then I said out loud, "We need to get our money back." So I stood up, crawled over everybody and left. Stephanie and Elizabeth followed and unfortunately Stephanie didn't see the last step so she tripped and spilled half of our popcorn all over the little Korean girls in the front row. We all made it out alive and miraculously I was able to communicate with the people at the desk the situation. And after a few embarrassed laughs we were fully refunded and on our way back to the apt. It was quite the memory and yet another reminder that I really am in another country half way around the world.

"Tangled"...also available in Korean with no English subtitles

Stephanie, myself, and Elizabeth oblivious to what's about to happen

Well, I know it's not much, but there's not much to tell unless you want me to go on about how amazing the Packers are and how they are going to repeat next year. :) But seriously, I don't think I've dwelled enough on how the Packers WON the Superbowl! I was able to watch it on my T.V. at home with my parents through Skype. ahhhh Skype, you have done so much for me! Anyway, Happy Valentines Day to all and to all a good night (or good day depending on where you are.)

1 comment:

  1. Dad says he thinks you might be too hard on those cute, adorable, angelic Korean children....taking a whole point away from them?? Anyway, he loved the blog and misses your beautiful presence.

    ReplyDelete