Friday, October 15, 2010

Give a Little Take a Little

Dear United States and South Korea,
You both are similar in many ways, but you could learn alot from each other.

On my walk to work everyday, I seem to always see a building that makes me say, "Did they build that overnight?" It's about a 2 mile walk, so there is much to see and since I'm beginning to settle in, I'm able to start enjoying my surroundings. However, some things I don't think will ever change. I mean, come on group of trash picker uppers, I walk pass you EVERY morning but you still stare and don't smile. We'll work on that. Anyhow, all this to say, on my walks, as I observe people and places and reflect on Korea as a country and a people, I see so much that South Korea could teach the United States and vice versa. Thus the following:

United States you could learn:

*respect for older citizens (but don't get too high and mighty on us)
-I saw a young boy bump into an older lady and he immediately apologized and bowed to her.
But she didn't even acknowledge him. A little "hey, you cute little boy, that's ok, thanks for
bowing though" would have been nice. Overall, though, I love the way Koreans treat their
elders.
-Also, although I love the respect, sometimes I think I'm risking my life to respect the older ladies on my walk. For example, today as I was walking, three older ladies were walking towards me. They were taking up the whole sidewalk and no one did the "get behind the person your walking with" move to let me walk past them. Instead, I seriously risked my life stepping off the sidewalk to avoid a human pileup. (I'm over exaggerating mom, there really were no cars coming).

*Oldest person always getting the bill for everyone at the table
-thank goodness I'm pretty much younger than everyone I meet AND in South Korea everyone is 1 years old when they are born..so I am 22 but 23 in Korea...but of course I always go with my native age...it pays.

*gift-giving to the max...I am not only talking about when Koreans go to someone else's house, they pretty much always bring a gift, but I'm talking about everyday things.
-Like second day of class one of my students brought me this delicious box of rice cookies, then today one of my adult students brought me a towel...kinda random, but thoughtful
-Also, there is this little girl who EVERY SINGLE day will come into the teacher's lounge and offer us her snacks, so to be polite, all the teachers take one of her snacks and then she makes the rounds again to offer second helpings. Many times we try to refuse but she just stands there as cute as can be. If we haven't taken seconds after about 10 seconds she grabs a snack and shoves it in our mouths...now that's what i call a giving person (Maybe not that extreme, America, but you catch my drift.)

*sharing and caring...
(Side story) When I was younger, I remember my dad telling us once that he wanted to make a huge SIGN to put in our yard that read "The Andersons are a sharing, caring, loving family." WHAT? a sign? yes, a big sign, much like the oversized political signs that reside in our yard every year around this time.
-anyhow, Koreans share everything..and I mean everything as in there is no personal space or privacy anywhere.
-they also share food..at Korean restaurants, no one really has their own plate, just multiple side dishes that everyone shares
-this sharing thing is really good for me, i've never been the best sharer.

Now, South Korea you could also learn something from the United States such as:

*beds that DON'T feel like you're sleeping on a kitchen counter.
*Dryers...you'll be amazed at how nice your clothes feel after coming out of a hot dryer.
*macaroni and cheese
*Manners to strangers..."but, Natalee, I thought you said Koreans were some of the most considerate people?" Yes, I did say that, HOWEVER when it comes to standing, walking, driving a cart in the store, they will run directly into me and just keep on keeping on.

Well, that's just a few observations..I have several funny stories from the week, so here it is:

Some people love trying to speak English to me. So, one day this week, while I was walking to work, this man was in his car at a red light and he rolls down his window and shouts, "HELLO!" I turn and it's no one I know, but I still give a friendly wave. Then he shouts again, "I SPEAKEEE English!" And I actually laughed out loud and gave him a thumbs up and kept walking. I love their vigor for English, even if they don't get the saying exactly right..For example, yesterday my adult students and I went on a hike around a lake and towards the end it was getting pretty hilly. While we were walking I kept hearing them say, "I'm killing." I thought about it and came to the realization that they meant to say, "I'm dying!" But I love when they try to use idioms or phrases. LIKE, a couple days ago, I was saying goodbye to one of the adult students at the school and she says, "Catch you on the flip side." haha..that made me giggle.

Anyhow, I'm enjoying those little situations, but in the next few weeks, I hope to go on some adventures throughout other parts of South Korea. I promise I will put up a tour video of my apartment very very soon.

1 comment:

  1. Natalee it's so good to hear your thoughts. I think you are making the best of your situations. Sounds like you are treating them more like opportunities than inconveniences. That is great. Seems like you are adjusting well. Love you

    ReplyDelete